Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's All Right to Cry

My Grandpa Thomas passed away yesterday morning after suffering a stroke a few days ago. It is hard when you are so far away from someone for their death to hit home, but I think the magnitude is beginning to settle in. My grandma, Betty, passed away three months ago, and we all knew that Grandpa wouldn't be long in following--though it didn't make sense. He was mostly hale, but he was becoming more frail.  At Grandma's funeral, though, he just looked so... lost. We knew he needed her.

I am glad they are back together now. But now that I have lost both my Thomas Grandparents, it is truly the end of an era. And that is heartbreaking. I know I will see them again. I know they are not gone forever. But now neither of them is here, holding down the fort on 1800 South in Orem, representing.

The lyrics from a Darius Rucker kids' song called "It's All Right to Cry" have been running through my head all evening as I've been struggling on and off with the waterworks, trying not let Travis see me cry  (because I am patently unattractive while doing so.) But I finally just let go, because--you know--it's all right to cry,


Crying gets the sad out of you
Raindrops from your eyes
They might make you feel better

That's mostly true. Crying actually just makes my head hurt. But what hurts worse than crying is trying NOT to cry. So, for now, it's all right to cry. It's all right to mourn what is past and gone. It's all right to feel. It's a form of honoring those who are gone.

7 comments:

Cloudy said...

Dear Erin, tears came up immediately when I read your post on fb with the 3 strokes.... I knew that he knew that it would not be long that he would see your Grandma again... I feel for you and your family... love from far far away xox

shanelle said...

Pear, I am so sorry about your Grandpa. It is hard to lose a loved one no matter what the circumstances.

Nancy said...

Thank heavens for an eternal perspective - without it the tears would never cease.

Erin M. said...

Thanks all for the kind words. When someone is a "fixture" in your life--a constant--it is so strange when they are gone.

Dawsonfamily said...

Pear, so sorry about your grandfather!

Unknown said...

so sorry to hear about his passing! he seemed so hearty and well when i was visiting last month. such a surprise. i'm more sorry you are away from home and have to grieve from afar. sending love your way, pear! and yes, it is healing for the soul to cry. your love for him is deep and eternal and i think it appropriate (whether you are an ugly cryer or not)

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Glad we got to be together this past weekend for the funeral. It was a really nice visit. And I'm glad you guys were safe traveling both ways. Hope this is a great new week.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....