Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today in the lunch line...

Today at work, I was feeling cranky for no reason. Usually when this happens it means I'm hungry. When I took stock of the situation today, I realized that this was the case. So I go to the Cougareat. (Hateful place. But I hadn't gone grocery shopping in weeks.) I'm about to get into the Taco Bell line when a huge group of people right in from of me makes the split decision to do the same. I move on. Italian looks fine. I get in line, and the guy at the end of line gives me a weird look. I probably give him a weird look back. A few moments later he explains: He had gotten in line while it was really long, and for ten minutes or so no one had gotten in line after him. He thought he was the last person on campus who wanted Italian until I came along. Ah. I nod understandingly. He then proceeds to flirt vigorously. My responses are monosyllabic (i'm cranky after all), but I can see that he is not totally disingenuous. And he is kind of cute, I finally notice. He is too busy flirting to notice that all of a sudden it is his turn to order (oops) so he lets me go ahead. Chivalrous. I'm still cranky, but not as. And i'm about to eat a calzone. how bad can life be.

As I walk away with my tray, I secretly hope this isn't the end of our brief association and that we will magically sit at the same table or something or, or... But it is, and we don't. And I eat alone. And it is probably for the best since I was cranky anyway.

If my life were a movie, we'd run into each other again randomly. I'd drop my books, and--and there he'd be to help me pick them up! Alas, i don't carry books in my hand. And my life is not a movie.

(Damn.)

4 comments:

Nancy said...

You can always start carrying books in your hands, or at least wrap a belt around them. I am still waiting for the people on the street to jump into song and dance based on my mood and thoughts. There is a chance that life is a movie... a chance

Sue Rasmussen said...

Well... two years after I randomly saw your uncle for the first time we were married and he wasn't even trying to flirt ;) But I didn't see him again for a year after that first meeting. Life is a movie - it is just a very slow motion movie - with ad-libs (not mad-libs)

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sounds like you need to start carrying power bars around--to fend off crankiness in the face of true love.

Anonymous said...

Why discouraged? You got someone in a lunch line--probably as starving as you--to start up a conversation. This all proves that you are one HOT MAMA. Revel in it. And next time, wink and nod you head in the direction you're going so he'll follow and then, you won't eat alone anymore EVER!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....