Thursday, February 2, 2012

Warning: This Post May Offend You

Okay.

So, I have this new rule for myself: Don't get defensive. About anything. If I'm not guilty of whatever it is someone is assuming about me, then I'm not guilty! And if I am? Well, a little humility is in order. Getting defensive makes you look STUPID. Period. So, it's one of my new rules to not give in to feeling defensive.

That being said, I'm going to break it for just a minute or two. Indulge me.

Something I am pretty tired of hearing or having said to my face:

UTAH SUCKS

Yeah. I got it. 

And I get it. I really do! If you're stuck at BYU or UVU and you don't like the culture, and you're tired of crappy housing, and you're tired of school, and you just hate the life that you happen to be living in Utah, then I get it. It does suck. And in that sense, yes, Utah sucks; the "Utah stage" of your life sucks.

Anyway, I don't begrudge anyone the prerogative to hate Utah. Hate away. I'm serious. But it gets tiring--and a little offensive--when you constantly express it in the presence of those of us from here. It kind of makes us feel like the idiots you believe all other Utahans to be. HINT.

Did you feel yourself getting defensive while reading this? Now you know how I feel every time I politely listen to your well-meant diatribes.


10 comments:

Tyson said...

I totally agree!-sherri

Anonymous said...

That was the sweetest set-down I've ever read. Please, please please set me down any time you like. And Pear, I looooovvvveee UTAH! SO IN YOUR FACE UTAH HATERS! (WHAT? I'm married to one? Bah to him too!)

Unknown said...

I completely understand how you feel, Pear. In my case, people constantly say how small and boring and cold and not-the-real-BYU Rexburg is. It's old news folks. Accept it and move along!

Erin M. said...

I know, Jill! It's like, "I already no what all is wrong with the place I grew up. You don't need to tell me!" It's old news. Now make friggin lemonade!

Nancy said...

Limited scope. Extremely limited in the case of Utah and Idaho haters - I mean, did you not see the mountains? It is difficult in a difficult stage of your life not to blame the surroundings though- I have a certain hate of AZ - most of that is because of lack of green and extreme heat though, not the people. Peoples here is nice. I reckon there might be some nicer things to do in the open too....if I care to.

leslie williams said...

For some the complaints are bandwagon boorish and the lemonade advice is well suited. For some, I think, it is a response to a culture that is all the spectrum of delightful, charitable, charicaturable, frustrating, smothering. How to give people a chance to be heard if that is needed and told to can it when they are just spinning a whine.

Nathan said...

Take it as a compliment that they complain to you. If they release their diatribes in your presence, they obviously don't consider you one of "those" kind of Utahns.

Nathan said...

This is actually Mindy. I didn't know I was signed in under Nate's account.

Captain Danger said...

I agree with this totally. I'm not even from Utah, but I get tired of hearing people say that it sucks. I generally tell them that they suck.

benandcorinne said...

Love this post! I did not want to live in Utah. Did not. But 10 years and 3 children later, here we are. And, uh, it actually grew on me.
And thanks for standing up for us Utahns. If people hate it so much, then take some intitiative and go somewhere else. Life isn't always fun and games people, sometimes your "Utah Stage" isn't all that great. Maybe at your next stage you'll wish you were back in Utah! HAahahahahahaha!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....