Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Workout Diary: Day One

I am the only girl in the gym in baggy pants. The ONLY one. I feel disoriented by the jungle of machinery I have no clue how to work. I'm like the fat kid who's come to the gym for the first time, and he's super out of shape and huffing and puffing on the elliptical after only a few minutes. Only, I'm not the fat kid. I'm the skinny kid with bad posture. I'm drowning in my clothes. And I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
---
I am underweight. Let's just put that right out there. I know it. Don't point it out. Don't tell me to eat more. Stop wrapping your fingers around my freakishly thin wrists. No, I'm not anorexic. I'm not bulemic. I'm simply underweight the way many people are overweight. This may sound strange to you, but I struggle gaining weight probably as much as some people struggle losing it. I know it's different, because the mass media glorifies skinny girls and tiny arms and thin legs. I understand that. But I am here to tell you that I struggle too, and it's hard, and sometimes it really sucks.

I have been very slowly but steadily losing weight over the past six months. I've been tracking the loss and doing what I can to compensate for it: trying to eat more, healthier, fattier, proteinier foods. I drink whole milk. I eat avocados. I carry a tin of nuts around with me to snack on, and I choke down Luna bars when I can stand them. Still, my eating habits could be better. I could snack less on empty stuff. I could eat more vegetables. Less sugar. More whole grains. There is room for improvement here.

Most discouragingly, I've tried to start exercising regularly over the past six months, but it seems like every time I try to get into a routine, I get sick. Then I lose ground. And it is SO hard to start at zero again and again and again. Travis has invited me to come to the gym with him periodically, and I always have some excuse. Usually it's legitimate: I don't have enough energy; I have a headache; I haven't eaten well enough. So, he goes and I end up at home, sedentary.

Travis invited me to go to the gym again today. I tried to put him off with the usual excuses--and I truly wasn't feeling all that great. But I stop myself halfway through and, with tears dangerously close to the surface, say, "Honey, I just feel like I'm wasting away! I don't know what to do." Part of the reason I find it hard to exercise is that it is hard for me to get enough caloric intake each day because I can only eat so much at a time (and seriously. I do NOT have time to each six little meals a day.) "You just have to work through it," he said. It's hard at first.
 ---
I go run on the elliptical for twenty minutes so that he and his buddies can do their heavy lifting without me hanging around, hands awkwardly in baggy pants pockets.

I hate cardio. I hate the idea of all those precious calories being wasted on running. I know that's probably the wrong way to think about it, but I cannot afford to lose more weight. I CANNOT LOSE MORE WEIGHT. But the elliptical feels okay, so I keep it up till my thighs burn.

After that, Travis helps me curl 25 pounds. That is about five pounds more than I am comfortable with, but I am able to do it. My impotent arms shake but I manage to squeak out three sets. Then I use ten pounds in each hand to work shoulders. Then triceps with one of those rope-pull things. I give myself a break in between each set. When I feel my muscles stop recovering, I know the workout is over for me. That moment comes pathetically soon.

I am a dancer. WAS a dancer. I used to be in peak physical condition. How diminished I have become. My goal is to tone my body back to what is could be, and has been: strong. But I need a lot of support. I need a lot of optimism, because right now I am scared and weak and small.

I am so thankful I have Travis to help me do this.

10 comments:

benandcorinne said...

I really like your blog, Erin. I am sorry this is so difficult for you. I am grateful that you have a healthy and beautiful mind. I know you are trying your best to stay physically healthy, so don't worry so much. I am so glad you don't care what other people think. Do you want some of my fat? :)

Erin M. said...

Send it on over, Corinne! :)

The Lucky One said...

Erin! I think about you almost every time I walk into a library. :)

Good luck with your battle! I know what it is like to struggle with weight, only mine is the other way around! But, keep on keeping on!! You can do it!

first time reading your blog and I love your writing style!

ps. have you tried yoga? Its amazing the healing that I get from it! I feel physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually challenged and balanced! I recommend it! My yoga instructor is very slim but toned and she says the only thing that she does is yoga for her muscle 'stuff'. Anyway, some thoughts for you!

I hope that things get better!

Erin M. said...

Thanks for reading, Tiff! I love yoga, and I will definitely need to get back into it. It is really healing, as you say. :)

Sandi Mumford said...

I am sorry this is so hard for you. You are such a beautiful person - inside and out! I wish there were more that could be helpful or encouraging for you. Keep working at it a little at a time and don't over-do it! Tomorrow you will want to be able to lift your arms so you can comb your hair!! Love you!!

Kate said...

Pear, I can't say I've ever struggled with being underweight either, but I know it is a real struggle. Sending health and love back at you! I hope you can find a good balance for your body. Love you.

Unknown said...

you were doing bicep curls with 25lbs in each hand?! first off: dancing IS exercise. just because most people bang out their calories pumping iron and spinning in place doesn't mean that is the only way to exercise your body and soul. practice yoga. perform pilates. dance! don't get sucked into the monotony called the gym. find an empty room and dance or stretch or do whatever you wish while travis does his manly grunts :)

Erin M. said...

Haha, no Jill! 25 pounds total! That would be amazing if I could curl 50 pounds! And you're right, there are tons of ways to get strong! I'll make sure I don't get sucked into a monotonous routine and lose motivation.

Nancy said...

Do what gives you energy....and this may be way off base, but check the birth control you are on (if any) cuz they can cause a lot of freaky weight loss that is hard to gain back - the few months I used birth control when we got married I had problems with weight loss.

move your body as it gives you joy!

Anonymous said...

Pearilini, The first year I was married to JOhn, I lost ten lbs. I was too busy to eat or exercise. My clothes totally hung on me and when they measured my body fat percentage, I was at 8%. That's like insanely low (like they asked if I was still getting my period). I think hormones were to blame, but I think you should talk to the Doc about your weight loss and if you are on birth control, switch just for the heck of it. Otherwise, seriously, loss of muscle is hard and it's evil to get back into shape. But totally worth it. Jillian's 6 pack in 6 weeks whooped Henry and my butt right into shape. And it's only half an hour. It's everything. You can borrow it. SEirously, you and Travis will love it. LOOOOVVVEEE you.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....