Thursday, July 16, 2009

On Going Very Early to Movies

There’s definitely something about Utah Valley and the general lack of acceptable entertainment that sends people in droves to the movies. Really. You’d think the movie industry worldwide would have pulled itself up out of the economic slump by now, if through nothing else than through Utah Valley’s unbridled enthusiasm.

Yes, I’m talking about Harry Potter.

Now. I have spent no less than a million hours of my life waiting in lines to get into blockbuster movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and (heaven forbid) Star Wars episode three. But I no longer relish this practice. I no longer absorb the expectant energy of the people in line with me, eagerly awaiting Heath Ledger’s phenomenal evilness, or Robert Downey Jr.’s irresistible bad boy antics. You might say I’ve grown bored of it all. I still like movies, but I don’t particularly enjoy lines.

Well, I made an exception today, for Harry. I even went to the trouble of buying the tickets two days in advance. I even…bothered to go stand in line (yes, you heard me…or…read me) a whole hour in advance. Die-hard early-going-blockbuster-line-waiter-inners no doubt scoff. One hour is really not early enough for such a big movie on its second day of release. True. But I figured that at least the four of us going wouldn’t get stuck sitting in the front row. Not even the genius of Harry Potter can ameliorate the effects of a permanently crooked neck. Anyway. I went early, stood in an enormous, amorphous line, finally got into the theater with what I thought was time to spare…and lo. It was nearly full.

You must imagine my rage. (But—do not imagine too carefully lest you overload your central nervous system.) In this same circumstance, some people would see the joy in the situation: families coming together to enjoy a nice, well-made, pg-rated masterpiece. (Which it was, by the way.) But I? Oh, no. I’d had a long day at work, and what I saw was whole families of twelve who’d sent their two little pit bulls three hours ahead of schedule to spread jackets, purses, arms and legs and whatever else on hand across ten other seats so that the rest of the fam could quite comfortably arrive two minutes before the film was scheduled to start. It was enough to make one sick with rage! I had already demeaned myself by arriving a whole hour early. Perversely, it wasn’t even because I was such an HP fan that I willingly wait in an unmoving line for three hours. I was merely playing by the necessary rules to get four seats together. Just four. Is that a lot to ask?

By the time I got into the theater, a mere half hour early, the seating was still underway.

Seating, in a movie such as this, is always a bloodbath. No sooner do you turn your back on two potential seats, then bam! Taken. One must be impulsive. You see a seat, you take it, you throw yourself bodily across it, because the minute you hesitate to consider whether this is really the seat for you, you’ve lost it. Your claim is staked by someone who was a fraction of a second less circumspect than you. (It’s unfair, but that’s life in the theater. Alas, there is a little bit of Darwinism at play.) And then, since the only two seats left together are two of the six handicapped seats, you are forced to plant yourself thither. Right in front, in the aisle. Exposed. Conspicuous. Like a sore thumb, or a growth on the fringes of society. Everyone walking by, tripping on your legs (which you tuck shamefully away) looking askance—and judging.

Judging.

What if someone in a wheelchair actually comes in? Which one of the six of us poor schmucks in the front is going to move? It is a frightening hypothetical. All joy is leached out of the experience. All expectation quashed by the single, bitter thought, “This damn movie better be worth it!”

Well, it was, happily. And no amount of my pre-show annoyance tainted the actual experience. My final word is this: go see Harry Potter. But—and I can’t believe I’m actually advocating this—show up a little earlier than I did.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I just realized yesterday that another Harry Potter movie was being released!

Katie said...

I'm with Nancy. I think I saw an add for it on the ole internet on tuesday and wondered, "oh yeah, Harry Potter...I wonder when that's coming out." I then learned everything I needed to know from facebook where more than likely 90% of the people on there had statuses akin to "Going to midnight showing tonight!"

On a side note my word verification is "biumbo". Just thought it was pretty funny.

Lindsay Mecham said...

That was hilarious Pear! I just love your writing style! I always feel like I'm there with you seeing the same things and feeling the same emotions and. And man...did i just get annoyed at those seat-savers!

I'm so glad you liked the movie.

On a side note: I wanted to add more to my last comment, so I deleted it. but it wouldn't delete all the way. silly blogger.

Jen said...

Love this--there's an Archlight near my home in LA. I'm not sure poor Utahns quite understand this achievement. Because--no lines, AND the seats you want.

You buy your tickets online. You choose which seats you want to sit on (that haven't already been taken). You show up 1/2 hour early, merely to be seated on time, and viola! The movie begins.

Harry Potter was definately worth it. I miss you too, and I don't know if I'm coming back to Old Mill after London, but I know when I'm in Provo again, I'll call you up. We need to go to a movie together.

Unknown said...

ha! some girls and i went to the midnight release. we went 1 hr and 15 mins early to secure a seat for four. though it wasn't quite like utah valley on the second day of the release, we ended up in the "close" section of the theatre. silly isn't it? it should be a matter of arriving and claiming seats and NOT saving seats. dumb.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....