Friday, August 14, 2009

My Feelings about Being 24

1. I feel…the same. I have felt more or less the same for several years (barring the mission) and I feel like I’m going to feel the same from here on out. Or at least until some things, which are totally out of my control, happen.

2. How do I feel about my social life? Personally, I feel invisible. And a little weary. But not…washed up. I am just barely discovering the truth that it’s okay to give people glimpses of my unadulterated self.

3. I love my job. I feel like I have found something I can do to support myself for the rest of my life, and it happens to be totally enjoyable. What a wonderful feeling of security. I am confident.

4. I feel like I am finally an adult in my family, and I don’t have to do anything to prove it. I just am. And it doesn’t mean being any less silly or uninhibited. It just means being less self-conscious and defensive.

5. People definitely attach way too much baggage to the arbitrary numbers we use to tell age. My being 24 in and of itself means nothing. It doesn’t mean I should be any certain way at any given time. I don’t have to feel too old or too young or too late or too tired. It just means I’ve been alive for 24 years.

4 comments:

Captain Danger said...

No, Pear, being 24 means you should be married by now. Duh. I thought every girl knew that.

shan1420 said...

I like the last point on your list. Oh shaskepear.... you have such a way with words :)

Jen said...

Perfect. I liked #1--until things, which are totally out of your control, happen. I think I know where' you're going with that one.

I loved #5, too of course. You'll know from my previous posts that you've commented on, I like how you said it.

Nancy said...

I think the biggest kicker is when you are an adult in a large family, that is when things are kinda weird. other than that - getting older does get more fun, believe it or not. You are gonna love 27!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....