Monday, November 2, 2009

The Case Against Snobbery

Snob n. a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field.

There’s a little (or a lot) of snobbery in all of us.

“I’m a bit of a snob about [such and such].” I’ve heard myself use this phrase before. I’ve also been coming to the conclusion lately that a snob is not a really helpful thing to be in this world—not to you, not to those around you. There are music snobs, film snobs, food snobs, book snobs, clothes snobs, political snobs, people snobs…. In fine, snobs can be found wherever there is culture. And there is culture everywhere, isn’t there?

The problems with snobs are manifold. Let’s begin with the fact that there are too many of us (and I’ll include myself, because I’m still reforming) in this world. And let’s continue with the fact that we are not actually experts about what we like, but only believe ourselves to be. That rings pathetic, in my opinion. And another thing: since when has being “condescending” or “disdainful” ever been a nice or particularly helpful thing to be?

I recently had a conversation with someone about music (big surprise) during which we established that we had nearly identical tastes. (And yes, the phrase “I am a music snob” was actually spoken out loud by one or both of us.) The conversation that followed consisted of talk about how awesome each artist was, and why, and blah blah blah. What was the outcome of this exchange? Well, both of us felt validated by having had another person, in essence, say “Yes, you are, in fact, cool because you like the same things I do.” (Which, pronouncing something valid only because “you like/agree with it” is a pretty shallow criterion, let’s be honest.) And the other thing is, neither of us had any reason to open our minds to new possibilities. Neither of us were challenged to try something new. As fellow snobs, the outcome of our exchange was simply to become even more deeply entrenched in our likes and dislikes. And even though this is an example dealing with mere music snobbery—which I consider pretty benign. Don’t even get me started on political snobbery—does anyone else see the problem with this attitude? This narrow-minded, Queen of Hearts, “there is no way but my way” approach to life?

But music snobbery’s not such a big deal. Or is it?

What’s the point of being snobbish? What’s the point of closing your mind to new possibilities? I’m not talking about letting every kind of garbage in. But what’s the point of not considering the other facets of something? It could be that once all is said and done, you will still feel the same way about the things you do. I think that’s valid, as long as “disdain” is not still part of the equation.

All of this is, of course, coming from a reformed—and still reforming—snob. But I’m just writing this to say that I find snobbery in all of its many forms tired and snotty and off-putting in almost every way, and as a young single adult I’m being constantly barraged by it by my peers and by my elders.

All this in-your-face individualism is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I would love to hear your thoughts, if you have thought about this, too.

6 comments:

Katie said...

My thoughts are firstly "Well put" and secondly "oh, crap. what am I a snob about? Oh yeah....that...and that....and that..."

Thank you for your call to reformation!

Nancy said...

I defer to Alma.
'But he said unto them: Behold, it isnot expedient that we should have a [snob]; for thus saith the Lord: Ye shall not esteem one flesh above another, or one man shall not think himself above another; therefore I say unto you it is not expedient that you should have a [snob]."

Lindsay Mecham said...

"All this in-your-face individualism is leaving a bad taste in my mouth."
I liked this post, and especially the previous comment.

Sometimes I feel like our society focuses too much on individualism, self-esteem, uniqueness while neglecting love and acceptance for others (one antidote to snobbishness.)

Thanks for this post; it has caused a bit of self-introspection.

Anonymous said...

I am a chip snob and I'm sorry but I won't change that, but everything else, one should not be snobby about. I have been a victim of snobbery and I was left with a pit in my stomach and a whole in my heart (it was, sob, about music) and felt stupid about myself and my tastes. Made me think that there must be a kind way to express yourself and your opinions and tastes. Not always so good at it, but tis my goal.

That said, I think it's perfectly fine to like somethings more than others. THat's human nature. ANd it's delightful and delicious to find someone who likes what you like. Kindred spirits. But my very very favorite people are ones who open my mind, sometime bust it open, to new ideas and thoughts and tastes and ideas.

All good. Love you, Pearilini.

christina q thomas said...

to pear: a ramble in response

what mary said is important, about finding people who like what you like and that being okay and not closed minded--as long as you don't limit yourself to interaction and self-validation with those people.

but my first thought is that i have heard the words "music snob" cross your lips before, but i have always thought you've used them mistakenly (or am i giving you too much of the benefit of the doubt?). you don't actively, vocally criticize music people are playing to their faces. if you don't like it, you put in your defense mechanisms. (IFYKWIM) there is nothing wrong with liking what you like, as mary said.

i, for example, am picky about food because i like healthy, fresh, interesting food. i don't look down on people for eating pizza and soda every night for dinner, but i think it's unhealthy and i don't want to do it and i feel gross when i only eat pizza.

what's wrong, as others have said, is letting your perception of another's personal taste in anything interfere with how you treat them, interact with them, what you assume about them, etc.

i think you can go right ahead and be picky and selective to your heart's content as long as you give everything a chance (within moral, spiritual grounds, of course). and giving everything a chance doesn't mean you have to do it right now. it's like me and pickles. i give them a chance every time i can. i never like them. until the other week, i did. it's taken years. i have not disparaged people for their love of pickles. i've been grateful, rather, for them because they take them off my plate.....

.....anyway, i've just proven once again that everyone else is more concise and to-the-point than i am.

nice post, p.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I never use this phrase "I am a snob about [such and such]" for the reasons you've just written why it's not that great. But I still find it is so easy to jump on the bandwagon of snobbery--even gentle snobbery--at another's expense. This can happen in our regular circles, like in family conversations, all the time. Every time I do it, it comes back to me in quiet moments, right before I'm falling asleep, say, and I'm just chagrined. Why? Why, when I know better, would I be careless with another person's feelings? This is when I vow to cut the talk and just get going in life.

Thanks for your post, P.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....