Friday, January 1, 2010

Ring in the New

New Year's Resolutions

1. Remain integral. Whole. There are a lot of new developments in my life right now. What I am figuring out now is how much to change/give and how much to reserve/receive, and how to remain integrally myself through it all. The way I figure it, one of the great works of this life is to achieve balance in every aspect possible. Apparently one of these equilibriums is to try and learn how to interact with other people and still stay true to yourself and what you know is right. Hard? Sometimes.

2. Strengthen my body. This will require my going to early morning yoga, which will require early bedtimes, which will require self-control. And healthier eating is included in this equation somewhere by default.

3. Remain as close to the Good and True as possible. I don't think this has ever been as crucial to me in my life as it is now. It is frightening how much is at stake. This will require me to be very consistent in practice and in attitude.

4. Get to know Children's literature very well. I just found out my winter schedule at the library and I will be working almost exclusively in the Children's wing. Having read a lot of adult fiction recently (and by that I don't me "x-rated," p.s.) I think I'm ready to explore something new. I'm ready to read about human issues through perhaps the less jaded, gentler lens of childhood experience. I'm also excited to be working in what I consider to be the "pretty" part of the library: vaulted ceilings, panoramic mountain vistas...ahh. More on that later.

3 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

At the Children's reference desk, booklists will be your best friends. Here is a link to the great booklists created by the librarians I used to work with at MCPL in Indiana. They update them pretty regularly.

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/booklists/children_booklists.html

I especially like these compiled by grade level:

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/booklists/booksbygrade.html


These are good resolutions, Pear. I can relate to the goals you've set.

Katie said...

Oh Pear, I love Children's literature! I have fallen away from my active pursuit of kids books for some time, but my search is renewed now that I have a kid.

I also love your other resolutions.

Unknown said...

go for it! very poetic resolutions there! good luck to you and thank you for the inspiration to be 'good and true"!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....