Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Insecurities: Naming the Thing

Everyone's insecure about something. No matter how confident a front they put on, everyone's got something. Me? I got a whooooooole crapload; and the funny thing is, even after you reach supposedly landmark events in your journey to adulthood--like getting married--some of those same insecurities still rear their ugly heads. Only they take on a more insidious form because they directly affect someone else now, and not just you. I battle feelings of inadequacy all the time. I have felt that I am not pulling my weight at home. I am here almost all day every day; I should take better care of the house. I have felt like my Masters degree, the one semester I have nearly completed, is a joke, a walk in the park compared to what my husband is doing and I feel silly. I can't feel proud of what I'm working for. There are many other things that I have felt at one time or another.

As this time of year rolls around again, it is hard for me not to draw parallels to last year. Last year at this time, I was, what I thought, a silly girl with crush. And I did silly things because that's what happens when you have a crush. It is hard for me not to feel embarrassed about some of the things I did or thought even a mere year ago. I once lectured my then-friend Travis over g-chat, this time last year, about how he shouldn't be so physically affectionate with girls he only intended to be friends with. At the time, I thought I was being grown up. But I was also nursing a little bit of hurt pride. I had begun to fall for him, had recognized belatedly that it was not reciprocated, and was pushing back in the only way my pride knew how: by pretending like I knew all along what everything was about. Covering my naivete by affecting urbanity.

Like I said, at the time I thought I was being grown up. Now, I feel supremely foolish about it. I say, "Travis, how did you end up with that silly girl with a crush? That unsophisticated newbie who had never even kissed a boy before you came along? Who thought she knew what everything was about because she'd had her heart broken before?" I cringe when I think about this time last year... even though, even though there was so much good.

*****

I have developed a system for dealing with the times that I am falling under the influence of an insecurity. I think I am borrowing this idea from my sister-in-law Mary--maybe read it somewhere on her blog, can't remember--and I am certainly stealing it from Ursula K. Le Guin. But there is a certain power in naming something. In the book A Wizard of Earthsea, Ged is endlessly chased through by a nameless shape, a fear, that nips at his heals and threatens to consume him wherever he goes. At the end of the story he turns around, faces the thing, and defeats it by giving it a name. It's a beautiful story, and this same concept works, for me, in real life. Whenever I sense that I am succumbing to the influence of an insecurity, if I just stop, take stock, and name what it is that's bothering me, I am almost immediately freed from its grip.

I find that over the last four months, i have had to do this over and over again as various little insecurities crop up. But they have all been successfully navigate, including the last one mentioned above. The fact is, we all need to go through whatever it is we go through in order to grow up, and it doesn't do any good to look back on our past selves with scorn or with embarrassment. We change--even from one year to the next. We make mistakes, we learn (or we don't) and we move on (or we repeat). True!

And so it behooves us all to give ourselves the benefit of the doubt, yes? To allow that we change.

I'm probably writing this post more for me than for you because, frankly, I'm one of the most insecure people I know. But I'm learning not to let that form of pride--because pride it surely is--get in the way of the rest of my life.

I look at it this way: In spite of my being silly and naive, and in one case just stupid, things turned out as they should with me and Travis. Who cares about last year. It's now that matters. Now and tomorrow and the rest of forever.

So there. I've named my insecurities: Pride. And Pride leaves no room for growth. Or love.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

eh, you're alright, pear. we all have a issues/problems/moments. i agree with your statement that you just have to not care about the past and move ahead. full steam ahead!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Name away and move on. Isn't it so funny how easily we get so lost in the past and our silliness? My heavens, I could seriously waste weeks and weeks (and shed endless tears) over all my idiocy of the past. Which is why I have adopted the shrug and "oh well" attitude. Very, very helpful.

christina q thomas said...

the shrug and oh well is absolutely crucial because it's not like we know everything from the get-go. it's all part of the process--the line-upon-line. don't go back and feel stupid or embarrassed. go back and laugh at yourself. yes! but don't get down on yourself. instead, like you said, practice some self-compassion and look gratefully on the things that you've learned since.

often things we do and say are right for moment, but they don't appear that way in retrospect. so trust yourself on those things, too. no raspberries!!!

and as for your useless degree, you know it's a hoop and that your more relevant work is at home and in the REAL library world. so jump thru the hoop (with grace, gleaning what you can :)) and then seek satisfaction and fulfillment and serviceable work in the places that count. and don't feel like what you're doing is lame or lesser. it's all work that needs to be done.

i think it's great that you recognize things you want to improve and voicing them is an important way to move on. so hopefully i haven't been too didactic, and hopefully writing this blog entry is helping you accept and make changes and move on.

you're great, pear. you're not that insecure. take the confidence you have in yourself and others and keep moving forward. (i.e. come pummel my bum, for heaven's sake)

and, as always, keep laughing at yourself all along the way.

Erin M. said...

Not too didactic. Just affirming. :)

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....