Thursday, July 14, 2011

Anniversary cake

It's 10:53 p.m. and I can barely keep my eyes open, so this should be interesting. It's our anniversary today! Numero uno. Yesterday we pulled the top layer of our wedding cake out of cryogenic freeze, and about an hour ago we cut through year-old fondant into a surprisingly...hmm...fresh cake. I'm serious. It actually tasted like it was baked yesterday.

I should explain that I never in my wildest dreams imagined myself EVER observing that tradition. I've imagined myself doing crazier things than that (skydiving, bellybutton piercings, childbirth) but never that. The decision to have a cake in the first place was really last minute, so the decision to preserve it for future posterity was equally last minute, and done in response to Travis and I having each had a total of one bite of the bottom layer (courteously fed to each other at the reception. not so courteously tonight, heh) and our mothers having had NO cake whatsoever.

We weren't even going to wait a whole year, but then, well, time has a way of getting away from you, and before you know it, it's been a year, and it's just about time to pull that sucker out and dust it off. Hey. That cake was expensive--and surprisingly delicious. And thanks to Mom, it was frozen in just the right way to make it thaw right back into bakery fresh readiness. You'd freeze it too if you only got one bite. Or you wouldn't.

Basically, I wish I would feel less embarrassed about having just eaten a year-old cake, but I don't. Moving on.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

We didn't, but fondant may have made a difference I think it's cute that you did! and congrats on 1 year!

Unknown said...

meh, who cares if other people do it! point is: you had one bite and now you've had a few more! well done. now work on skydiving and piercing your belly-button.

Katie said...

I think next year you should give birth while skydiving just to make up for this preposterous display of tradition.

We didn't save our cake cause it was in utah and we were not there long enough to stick in a freezer that we would be able to return to, but like you we only had a bite of our cake. How silly is that? We make the bride and groom ceremoniously eat a single bite in front of everyone, but it seems that is all most brides and grooms get of their own cake. I suppose maybe that's why the weird freezer tradition began.

At any rate, cake or no, happy anniversary (late)

Nancy said...

I will defend the tradition - I totally had our wedding cake topper on our one year anniversary and very much on purpose! My hubby was a bit chagrinny about it all, but I ate it all up, literally and figuratively. I love continuing to do things tradtional, particularly when it comes to things that celebrate generational love. I wish I was better at observing every wedding anniversary tradtion (silver,gold, ruby, pearl, whatever precious gem I can squeeze out of it). And yes, I still squeeze into my wedding dress every year on our anniversary just to make it a bit more silly. (why else did I buy the thing rather than to prove that I am still as thin as I was when I got married ;))
Hooray for making it farther in marriage than most...not that the comparison makes it better. Just being with your best friend is the best part of that whole year.

Peter said...

Happy anniversary! It's hard to believe it's already been a year. Funny post about the cake. I've never planned on observing that tradition, either, but I'll think twice about it now! My wedding cake happens to be sitting in my parent's freezer still. So we shall see... :)

Lindsay said...

Oops! I didn't realize I was signed into Peter's google account. That previous post was from me! haha

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....