Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What Is Wrong With this Picture?

Take a look at this:

This rolled around Facebook last week and created quite a stir. Mostly of approval. I didn't think much of it at the time, except to feel a vague sense of unease. I didn't "Like" it, and I certainly didn't share it. But I didn't stop and address my unease either. I just moved on.

Today, I read this invective about this very meme, and it made me sit down and seriously think through my unease, and I find that my opinions have become...stronger. First, let's start with some hard, scientific truth--because, behind every fallacious argument rests a grain (however small) of truth.

Truth: Most men are hardwired to frequently think about sex. Visual cues are very strong for men, and seeing a woman display some skin MAY (not WILL) inspire a man to think sexy thoughts. That is scientific truth. If this is all this meme had said, it wouldn't have been controversial at all, and probably wouldn't have gone viral. But I suspect, by the charged wording, that sensationalism was its author's intent.

And this really gets to the heart of what I think is wrong here. Not the old, tired debate about whose responsibility it is to "keep mens' minds clean," but the question, Why are we still talking about this issue in these terms? Why are we still resorting to droll witticisms? And why, Oh WHY, do people still gobble up this kind of pharasaical nonsense as if it were gospel Truth?

First, the word "immodest." Modesty is a judgment based on subjective cultural values. In many Muslim countries what I wear every day is heresy. In Las Vegas, what I wear every day probably looks like way too much clothing to almost everyone else. What the author* doubtless meant by modesty here was the Mormon standard of modesty: no sleeveless, no booty shorts, no plunging necklines, etc. For those who don't know, this standard of modesty has its basis not solely on the caprice of Mormon culture, but because of certain commitments many Mormons choose to make in LDS temples. I personally have made these commitments, but as far as I'm concerned, they are between me and my God; I choose to conform to this standard of dress without reference to you, my neighbor or any other stranger. And I certainly don't expect everyone else to share my beliefs. What the author of this meme has effectively done, however, is to impose his or her standard of modesty on the world at large, regardless of the World-at-Large's sharing in the author's beliefs. This attitude really bothers me, because I feel, if fostered in Mormon communities, it will achieve nothing but to antagonize and to separate Mormons from their neighbors along totally superficial lines.

And even if it is only aimed at Mormon girls, what on earth does the author hope to achieve but to be divisive within the Mormon community?

The use of "immodest" bothers me, but not as much as the response to this meme. It was "liked" and "liked" and "liked" again! Some people were even avowing to use it in their next Young Women's (LDS youth group) lesson! WHAT? The only thing this is going to teach teenage girls is that men who appreciate women's bodies for the beauty that they are are not "real" and are ALL PIGS, and that it's okay to judge other girls' dress. I know teenagers love these simple little sayings, but that doesn't mean we need to be feeding them to them. That doesn't mean we need to be fostering self-righteousness. 

Whoever authored this is doubtless congratulating him or herself on a job well-done. They got lots of virtual slaps on the back from people. If you were one of those people who "liked" it or "shared" it, it's fine. Obviously, it doesn't make you a bad person. I do challenge you, however, to think hard before jumping onto this kind of bandwagon again. 

So basically, what bothers me the most about this meme is that it exists at all. Its very existence, and the praise it garnered, is, to me, an indication of an attitude that I wish were totally absent among the LDS community.

*I am actually not sure if this meme started in the LDS community, which necessarily makes some of my points moot. It may not have. Regardless, it became very popular among Mormons.

5 comments:

mwoodall said...

Totally agree. Glad you wrote this post.

Jen said...

Yes. Thank you! Also, thank you for the link to the other argument made. How do we change this??

shanelle said...

The type of attitude displayed in this meme is one of my largest pet peeves with the church. It is demeaning to men and to women. I can't understand why we can't teach modesty without defaulting to this definition of it. Modesty is an attitude and a way of life that applies to both men and women equally and is much more than the clothes you wear.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Pear, I'm glad to be related to a thoughtful, articulate person like you. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts into writing.

It really isn't hard to teach the several applications of principles like modesty to your children. You can talk about modesty in terms of dress, language, thought, and personal conduct so easily because opportunities to practice it abound every day. Both boys and girls can be given equal attention in understanding biological inclinations and how to control them.

One aspect of modesty I have to be careful about is to avoid feeling like I need more of the latest fashions and to spend my money wisely. My kids will see me model that aspect of modest behavior all the time and there will be plenty of chances to talk and learn about it.

As far as being a member of the LDS church and understanding modesty as a principal of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I feel like I received a good foundation of that from parents, siblings, church leaders, and scripture. There are wonderful resources out there if we will thoughtfully use them.

Seth Robinson said...

Principles in the Gospel are always the same. Its the application of the principle that people have a problem with. People (even outside the church) may understand the virtue in being "modest." But that still doesn't say what "modesty" itself is, just as the principle "keep the Sabbath day holy" isn't a list of do's and don'ts.
I think you have a real point here which i would like to perhaps restate in different terms. When Thomas asked Jesus, "What is truth?" Jesus answered "I am the way the truth and the light..." Jesus answered a "What" question with a "Who" answer which logically doesn't make sense. But it perfectly illustrates the point that what you endorse, think, or believe isn't nearly as important as who you are. A huge range of behavior can be interpreted as "Christlike" or not. But the "what" that matters is whether or not we are getting closer to the "Who" in out lives. AKA Judge not unrighteously...

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....