Saturday, September 1, 2012

And This is Why I Will Never Publish

< writing process >

I'm gonna write. Where's my computer? 

[ten minutes, and a snack, later]

Ok. Gonna write. 

First, I gotta check my email. [Strongbad voice] "Email! Email!" I could have some important message, like maybe someone, somewhere, did... something really cool... Nope. Not even an automated message from the library.

That was disappointing.

Facebook! I haven't been on Facebook for like...five whole hours! My newsfeed's gonna be like...THREE FEET LONG! I may even have a NOTIFICATION! Maybe someone responded to that thing I posted... [ten twenty minutes later.] Wow... surprisingly little happened in five hours. What a shock. {sarcasm}

Well, okay. Back to my draft. I really don't have any other "pressing" web-related business.

Oh, wait! BLOGS! Yippee! I have at least twenty blogs I read, and I haven't checked them all day! Ooo, I love spying on other people's lives... [twenty minutes later] Ok...90% of these people haven't posted anything in over 3 months. One person posted one thing that was kind of long and I spent the entire time clicking the various links because I'm desperate to find ANYTHING INTERESTING ON THE INTERNET.

Close tabs. Open gmail. Again. Open Drive. Open draft. Stare blankly. Level of creativity status: Underwhelming, having been all sucked away by the mind-numbing distraction of voyeurism.

Wait! I can blog about this! That's writing, isn't it? It's being creative AND wasting time at the SAME TIME.  *mind blown*

Also, I forgot to check Twitter and Reddit...



< /writing process>

8 comments:

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

You left out the sudden need to do the laundry, sort the cutlery drawer and resort the bookshelf :D

Unknown said...

i've heard of writers who "power off" all other distractions when they write. i think there is a lesson there for anyone trying to accomplish something! too many distractions! (isn't that why i'm reading blogs right now while i wait ALL DAY for church?) a

and for the record, i DO think you'll be published one day

Nancy said...

alternative - get dial-up internet connectivitiy

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I bet I was the one who posted something kind of long--and boring! But if you click on The Pea Museum link you'll get a delightful original story by Ellis about Mr. Watermelon--Life in the Fruit World. It will inspire you! Ellis is not yet distracted by anything when she is creating except for her bothersome mom telling her to clean up.

Erin M. said...

No, Mand, it was not your blog. And you are never long and boring! :) I will be sure to check out Ellis's story.

Erin M. said...

Yes, indeed, Kellie. Anything to keep from having to be creative! ;)

Erin M. said...

I need to just decide that when I'm sitting down to write, I may not do anything else on my computer.

Erin M. said...

Tempting...

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....