Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Turn

Sunday afternoon, there came a soft knock at our door. I looked out the peephole and saw a stranger waiting patiently on our owl doormat with an orange paper plate of cookies. I opened the door, smiling expectantly. We didn't know each other. But she knew of me. She had my name and address on a piece of paper.

I apologized for taking so long to get to the door. We talked for a minute. She asked me if we had any family in Nevada. I shook my head. Neither did she. We commiserated. My smile was genuine. My cheerfulness real.

She didn't know that five minutes ago--two minutes ago, actually--I had been curled up on the bed, sobbing into my husband's shoulder. That it had taken me a minute or two to compose myself before opening the door.

She didn't know of the depression that I have felt with the onset of fall--the fall that hasn't come yet. The days shorten, yet there remains the monotonous luster and still-hot weather of summer. All I long for is crisp air, the smell of apples and rotting leaves. More than that, familiar voices and faces. How could she know any of this? She didn't.

Yet, there she was on my porch with an offering of cookies and friendship and the promise of another visit. It was a small thing, but after I closed the the door, I was overwhelmed--I was speechless--which is appropriate when one has been attended to so manifestly and palpably by their God.

And, let me be clear that these sorts of things never rarely happen to me. I guess it was my turn.

6 comments:

Alex and Family said...

Erin!! I miss you! And I miss being your visiting teacher. But more than anything, I am SO glad that my replacement is making sure you're doing okay. It breaks my heart that you're struggling. If you ever want to vent or talk to someone just call me :) Love you-- Alex!

Erin M. said...

Thanks, Alex. It's not hard all the time, or even very much of the time. But I'm glad that you've got my back and that we're friends, even at a distance. :)

Meg said...

Erin, let me just tell you that I completely understand that missing of home that comes with a lack of changing seasons. I don't think Eric completely understood why I was so angry at the 80 degree weather on my birthday in February. It gets better with friends though. My friend Debra turned everything around for me when we were in Texas. Good luck!!

erin said...

Timing makes everything. I'm sure you've been that person for someone else, too.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

One of those very personal experiences, but I'm glad you wrote it down and shared it. It makes me glad to know that there are people willing to care for each other and to know that you, my Pear, are getting some TLC.

Nancy said...

we each need our turn to remember how real God is.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....