Saturday, January 19, 2013

We are Stardust, We are Golden


I love science. I love the study of how things work. My studies have mostly been of the liberal arts, the humanities, the human experience on this planet. But I am also deeply fascinated by the study of our place in the ecosystem, and our place in the universe.

I just read an essay The Cosmic Perspective by Neil deGrasse Tyson. In it, he talks about how understanding our place in the universe can affect the way we think about everything else, and temper our humano-centrism. (I don't know if that's a word, but it's definitely a thing.)  Even though Mr. deGrasse Tyson is not a religious man and I am a religious woman, I don't think we would disagree that Time, and Existence, and the Universe have no beginning and no end. And because having "an eternal perspective" is a more familiar phrase for me, I've inserted it instead of "cosmic" to helps me understand him even better. He says:


The [eternal] perspective is humble.

The [eternal] perspective enables us to grasp, in the same thought, the large and the small.


The [eternal] perspective opens our minds to extraordinary ideas but does not leave them so open that our brains spill out, making us susceptible to believing anything we're told. (I love this one.)


The [eternal] perspective shows Earth to be a mote, but a precious mote and, for the moment, the only home we have.


The [eternal] perspective finds beauty in the images of planets, moons, stars, and nebulae but also celebrates the laws of physics that shape them.


The [eternal] perspective enables us to see beyond our circumstances, allowing us to transcend the primal search for food, shelter, and sex. 


The [eternal] perspective reminds us that in space, where there is no air, a flag will not wave—an indication that perhaps flag waving and space exploration do not mix.


The [eternal] perspective not only embraces our genetic kinship with all life on Earth but also values our chemical kinship with any yet-to-be discovered life in the universe, as well as our atomic kinship with the universe itself.



Whether you use the word "cosmic" or "eternal," it doesn't really matter. The point is, we are part of something so much bigger than us, and remembering that fact can help put everything else into perspective.

As Joni Mitchell said, "We are stardust." We are the same substance as stars,* and that makes me feel both so small--and so great.


* Analogously, my belief is that we are the same substance as God. He is a man with greater understanding and physical ability than us. But we are of him. I believe we have part of him in us. And remembering that fact can help us transcend the grosser aspects of human nature.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the quotations! this is an essay i would like to read!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

The world is more than we know, but we can know a lot more when we take time to study and read the thoughts of others who have studied. What good thoughts to ponder. Thanks for posting the ideas you gleaned from this essay!

Because of my religious training, it started a couple of hymns running through my mind like "For the Beauty of the Earth" and "How Great Thou Art." (And of course, "If You Could Hie to Kolob".) At the same time, I also started thinking of lullabies...

It also brought to mind how much I love thinking about the connection between heaven and earth and scriptural passages that teach about that connection, like Abraham 3 and D&C 88. Your thoughts led me to re-read some of those, so thank you!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....