Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Kind of Crazy

People must think I am crazy because I often walk around muttering quietly under my breath. The truth is...well...the truth is that I am slightly crazy. Isn't every artist? i caught myself doing it again today as I was driving home from the Pizza Factory. (i almost always talk to myself while driving since I am almost always in the car by myself.) I actually had to stop myself mid-sentence as i was getting out of the car, to make sure no one was around. it was freezing cold, so no one WAS around, fortunately. That being the case, I started my dialog again. Dialog, you say? He he. Now you're really convinced that I've lost it.
I often have dialog from the story I am writing running through my head. To say it out loud helps me solidify the idea. I then go somewhere (my laptop) where I can write it down. But in the meantime, I have to speak it to remember it. And even if I don't write down exactly what i was saying, it helps me generate new ideas.

So yes. As I said, isn't every artist a little crazy? Don't you have to be to be passionate about something? Well...that's judging by most people's perception of "crazy." And anyway, if the price of being passionate about certain things is merely that some people think i'm slightly odd, I really couldn't care less. but, um, i do attempt to keep my writerly behavior at a minimum in public. Just, you know, to maintain at least the outward semblance of normalcy.

p.s. Dad just installed surround sound and a subwoofer downstairs. Movie-watching capabilities at the Thomas household--in spite of the tiny screen--are now officially awesome.

2 comments:

shanelle said...

Pear, you aren't talking to yourself. you are talking to the voices in your head.

celeste said...

Matt is a mutterer too. Maybe it is a Thomas thing.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....