Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The People Who Haunt the Library

I see the same people in the library almost every day, and I wonder about them.

A.M is a heavy-set, clean-cut forty-ish year old guy who uses the computers almost daily. Faithfully, at 9 o' clock almost every morning, he's there, handing me his library card as a collateral for headphones before he sits down at machine number 9. That's how I know his name: from his card. He's always dressed nicely, in slacks and a colored button-up--he even carries a briefcase. I like A.M because even though he comes in all the time, he doesn't treat me or the other librarians too familiarly. He doesn't try to be funny, and he doesn't make personal observations about our appearance like some people do. I don't know what he does online every day. Maybe some of the time he's job searching.

Another ghost I see is one I will call the Lonely Reader. This one's a strange case. LR is a tall, also clean-cut, maybe mid-thirty-year-old who I see every day. And I mean, every day. He is always there at open. He always sits down in one of our nice, soft chairs with a newspaper or a book off the display shelf. As far as I can tell, he never goes down to the lab (unusual), he never checks anything out, and he never asks for anything at the desks. He just comes, and sits, and reads.

One day, I was working the desk in the fiction area, and I noticed LR down there. A line of several soft and lovely lime-green Ikea benches line the back wall of Fiction, each with a pile of pillows. LR was sitting on one. He had one of the millions of pillows wrapped in his arms. He wasn't reading. He just sat there, hugging that pink pillow looking...sad? Or tired. I don't know which. He didn't move for a long time.

I think LR might be homeless. But you would never, ever think it to look at him.

Speaking of homeless. HL (for homeless) is another ghost I sometimes see around. And not just the library but the whole city center and that intersection of state and center. HL is another skinny, mid to late thirty-yr-old. He has chin-length greasy hair that is well-combed, and wears dingy clothes in a dignified way. I first met HL working--once again--at the fiction desk. He handed me a pink rubber ball that he thought maybe some child had dropped. HL has a strong smell about him and dirt under his nails, but he is as quiet and unassuming as LR.

I hope these guys, whatever their troubles may be, are able to find some rest at the OPL.

7 comments:

Sue Rasmussen said...

Oh, it makes my shoulders droop to think of someone lonely and lost using the library for hours - without really using the library. How can he resist all the goodies around him?

Erin M. said...

well, the problem is that the library doesn't issue cards to people unless they can bring in a proof of address for somewhere in orem or provo, and we can't issue cards to the homeless shelter. So these guys can't check anything out or use the computer. They DO use the library materials--just inside the library.

Nancy said...

The boise library was a popular hang-out of homeless. They would all gather in the study rooms and laugh racously. You sound to have some nice ones.

Sue Rasmussen said...

in the library system here, you can use a computer without a library card - you just can't reserve one - so that leaves you stuck on the ones that are available for 15-30 minutes at a time.

But better than nothing and if offers the potential to help the homeless find housing or employment or assistance of other sorts.

Susannah said...

I worked the reference desk at the BYU Law Library for 3 years (both as a student and as a faculty member) and we certainly had our share of the usuals. The saddest one was a really nice guy. He was very tall and very large, in his mid 40s, super quiet. He'd come in with his gym bag every night around 5pm and stay til 9. He was doing some kind of internet gambling and game show stuff that back in 1999-03 range wasn't really outlawed at the time. I remember one night I spoke with him for a few minutes. He mentioned something about living with his mom who was home alone every night while he was at the library. I have no idea what was going on there, but I felt so bad for both of them. I liked him best because he wasn't a crazy person trying to prove the government was sending aliens to destroy the earth (no joke). Libraries are great. :)

Unknown said...

I saw this shirt and thought of you:

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-BLINDED&Category_Code=QC

Lindsay Mecham said...

Erin, I love this post so much. Very interesting.
Also, it urges me to better serve lonely people around me and to not make judgments too quickly. Everyone has a story.

Thanks.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....