Monday, September 12, 2011

Things I Know at 26



- This is how I look to most people most of the time.
- I have a long face, stern eyes and a crooked mouth. *shrug*
- I know so much more than I did five years, two years, one year ago.
- And I am beginning to understand the immensity of how little I know.
- Age is a mostly arbitrary number.
- I am glad I married older.*
- Adults are petty and stupid and set in their ways.
- Don't believe everything your elders tell you.
- Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
- Don't believe anything involving superlatives (best, surest, safest, blah. blah. blah.)
- Don't you dare do something simply because it is "done."
- Question religion. Think deep and hard about it, and often. Take a stand, but humbly.
- Question everything. But disregard everything at your peril.
- Own your opinions unequivocally.
- Be passionate! But not pugnacious.
- Be kind. 
- Kiss a lot.**
- Avoid cliches.
- Weigh others' opinions before dismissing them out of hand.
- Do things because they are right, not because it will please someone, but because you reap what you sow.
- Don't worry about recognition.
- Don't concern yourself with accolades, with the opinions of others.
- Think about yourself as little as possible.
- But do try to dress well. It will help reduce self-consciousness.
- If you find a pair of pants you like, don't look at the price tag, and buy two pair.
- Avoid feeling angry. It's contagious in all the worse ways.***
- Empathize instead.
- Eat well. Not for your figure, but for your immune system, your stamina and your overall health.
- Have plenty of snacks in the cupboard.
- I am not going to go to Hell for watching movies of a certain rating, or saying things like "damn" every now and then, or drinking a caffeinated beverage every once in a while. I'm not. Sorry to disappoint.
- I am not going to be condemned for my imperfections.
- BUT don't use your imperfections as an excuse.
- Everyone hates their job at least a little bit. Don't be disappointed when you aren't completely satisfied with your own.
- Don't pay for TV.
- Don't watch TV. Not in real time, at least.
- Commercials are Satan's own spawn.
- Read. Read as if because your life depends on it.
- Read the news. Don't watch it. ****
- Practice. It isn't too late to learn a new skill. 
- Create. Do it because it's good for your brain.
- Worry about money only as much as necessary and, generally, as little as you can afford. *****
- Write often and without regard to quality. There is always revision...
- Go out of your way for your friends.
- Don't judge your friends.
- Don't judge your family. But learn from them--mistakes and all.
- Laugh at yourself.
- Respect yourself.
- So you can love yourself.
- So you can love others.
- Just...you know...love.

*An arguable point. In Mormondom, marriage at the ripe age of (nearly) 25 is on the shady side of average.
** Should've learned this a lot sooner.
***Screaming impotently at other drivers does not make them regret cutting me off.
****If Fox News is "fair and balanced" then my Aunt Sally is a three-toed, yodeling monkey's uncle.
*****No pun intended.

11 comments:

Sue Rasmussen said...

loved this post - made me think that I should do one for me at 57 .... or 58 .... or whenever I get to it. I guess one of the things I know is that even delightful ideas don't always make it to the top of the to do list

danielle said...

haha this is fantastic.

Sherri said...

I always ascribedto the kissing a lot thing ;)

Shallee said...

Great post, Pear. :) Thanks for sharing all the things you've learned.

Dave Thomas said...

Commercials are OK. They only last 30 seconds and pay for most of the stuff we watch. And because they are made, my own kids get to eat and wear clothes. There are many worse things than commercials.

Erin M. said...

Oh, Dave, you're right! And I always have enjoyed yours. (But please, please stop feeding your kids clothes. For the love...)

Captain Danger said...

I'm pretty sure you will go to Hell for those things.... Just sayin'.

Glaucia Macedo said...

Amei

mwoodall said...

Awesome post! I love looking back at the past year and realizing what I've learned and how far I've come. Also, I agree with pretty much everything you listed!

Nancy said...

Interesting. How grand that we all get to learn at our own pace.

Unknown said...

i think i will print this list and recite it weekly! well put, pear!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....