Monday, October 3, 2011

A Self-Education

Three years ago I interviewed at the BYU library for a position in the Humanities Reference department. I was currently working at Book Repair. And while I was quite good at paper-mending, recasing, strip binding (not as exciting as it sounds) and myriad other esoteric repairs, book repair was not what I wanted to do with my life. (If book conservation is what you want to do with your life, it is very cool. My sister does it.) So I applied for the reference position, had a really good interview, waited for kind of a long while to hear back...never did. So I called them. "Ohhh.." the assistant said when I called, "Well, we actually gave the position to someone else. Because he speaks German."

Oh!

"But!" she replied, in conciliatory tones, "Another librarian saw your resume, saw that you are a Portuguese speaker, and is interested in hiring you."

Hm! Okay.

So that's how I got that job. About a month ago, I interviewed for another position (than the one I currently have) at OPL, had a perfectly adequate interview, and then played the waiting game once more.

(As an aside, I think it is healthy for everyone to be turned down for a job at least once or twice in their lifetime. It's humbling. And it helps keep everything in perspective. Anyway, moving on.)

You probably gathered that I did not get this job either. "We found someone who has experience in video and editing," they said. Well that made perfect sense, since my only video experience consisted of recording something on my digital camera and uploading it to iMovie for minimal editing. I didn't feel bad in the least.

I did, however, realize that I have a lot to learn, and that I can develop certain marketable skills all on my own. Like HTML and web design. I have a GINORMOUS book about HTML and CSS sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust. I've built a web site, sure. But it's extremely rudimentary. I can do the basics in Excel and InDesign--but my skills are not exactly "mad." I could make a video, but I had never really sat down and done any finishing on it.

I say "could" because all of this is, in fact, just a really long introduction to the fact that I, Erin Mumford, have created and posted my very first YouTube video. I googled how to rip DVDs, downloaded the software, did all the editing, formatted it for YouTube, and--unlike the Little Red Hen of lore--am perfectly disposed to share it with you now. I am only a little bit embarrassed how much time this took and how much homework did not get done as a result. Also...I am perfectly aware that this particularly work of "art" will never appear on any resume.

WARNING: It's a fan video. (If you don't know what that is, you soon will. They constitute a worldwide pandemic on YouTube.) And yes, I created it ironically. Here it is:

6 comments:

Meg said...

This video tickled me. And made me want to watch Sound of Music. Also, I have been rejected for many jobs in my life. My husband, up to this point, never has been. I feel that this is something he needs to experience so he understands why it crushes me, and why I hate interviewing with a passion that consumes my soul, because it always turns me into an idiot who remembers nothing to do with anything I've ever done in any job ever. So yes. Everyone should get rejected occasionally. :) (Although I do feel like I'm probably over my quota.)

Daniel said...

Did you use Handbrake to rip the DVD?

Erin M. said...

I did indeed.

Sandi Mumford said...

I love you, Erin! This was a fun 3 minutes of my day and made me smile!! By the way, this movie is one of my favorite things!!

Love you,
Sandi

Unknown said...

i relate to SO MANY items in this post. applying to over 100 jobs and hearing back from 2? ya, i know how rejection feels. i completely agree that it is the little things you bring to the table that help people choose YOU. way to be proactive on your own and learn these things! i WISH i knew more abour InDesign and website stuff! wish=i need to do something about it.

great choice of music. love me some 80s!

Susannah said...

You are the very model of how to respond to rejection: take the feedback you get about why you got rejected and "fix" the problem by making sure you'll never get rejected again for that reason. (You know, it's that whole turning your weaknesses into strengths thing from Ether.) I wish I had learned that lesson better when I was getting rejected after law school.

And the video? LOVED IT!! I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....