Saturday, December 17, 2011

Another BBC mini-series (for all you anglophiles out there)

A coworker recently recommended I watch this:






I was skeptical at first. Not sure why... I love a good BBC drama. I even enjoy Dickens when adapted to the small-screen. (Little Dorrit, which I would never actually pick up to read, was phenomenal.) But I was completely bewitched by Downton Abbey. Firstly, I was surprised to learn that it is an original story and not an adaptation from a book. Secondly, it is set in Edwardian England just prior to WWI--a time that seems too often overlooked in literature. It is an England just emerging from the nearly century-long shroud of Victorianism, on the cusp of modernity and world war. Downton--a traditional great house and a vestige of a class-system on its way out the door--struggles to maintain its relevancy in a modern world. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the story is that it is told from the perspectives of both the upstairs aristocracy and the downstairs serving class. Everyone is watching everybody else. Some waiting to take advantage. Others, to help. Characters you love to hate become characters you learn to love. Others remain completely despicable. Here's a teaser...



Also, I should warn you. It is slated for a second season, which means season one ends without any resolution whatsoever. It was completely infuriating to get to end of disc three and come to this realization. Other than that, this was perfect escapist television.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I've definitely watched through this more than once - and I may have found places to watch series two when it came out in England. (It is awesome.) It's totally soap opera-ish at times, but I find it ridiculously compelling.

mwoodall said...

I love Downton Abbey!!!! I watched the second season (illegally... shhh!) So good!!!

drummermlw said...

Shannon and I just started watching this show at her parents last week. I think we will have to watch the second season now, even though that it's probably just even more tragic.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....