Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gave, and Hath Taken Away

Two years ago on a Sunday just like today, I made a promise to myself that today was the last time I was going to hang out with Travis. I had finally admitted to myself how much I liked him. And knowing that (in spite of our friendship) those feelings were not reciprocated, it was time to move on. For my own sake. "This is the LAST time," I said to my self, as I drove over to his apartment.

Earlier that day in church, a clipboard had been passed around so that people who were able could go up to visit a girl in our ward who was suffering from leukemia. I had visited Rachel once while she was at the hospital here in Provo. But by now her cancer was so serious she was up at the Huntsman institute an hour away in Salt Lake. I usually let that clipboard pass me by when it came around, but that day I decided it was time to visit Rachel again. That day, I happened to be sitting between the two boys I had alternately had crushes on all semester. I had stopped crushing on the one, and determined to stop crushing on the other, but for whatever reason, I turned to them and asked if either of them wanted to come up and visit Rachel with me on the coming Friday. Travis said he would.

I secretly rejoiced. And worried.

What happened later that Sunday when I went over to his apartment is a story for another day. It was an important day, and one that began a chain of events that culminated in our marriage.

But I am thinking, today, of a specific milestone we passed as we moved toward that culmination. Before Travis picked me up that Friday we went to visit Rachel, I told myself that I was not going to treat tonight like a date. I was not going to expect to do anything afterward. Tonight was for Rachel. I was going to just be friendly and natural with Travis--which wasn't hard.

Rachel's room at the Huntsman was one that commanded a view of the entire Salt Lake Valley. It was beautiful. She greeted us with such warmth, I immediately felt at ease--which can be difficult when visiting a sick person you don't know very well. Rachel always had a gift for putting people at ease, and one that only became stronger as she became weaker. I was pleased to see her in such high spirits. But shocked when, later, as she struggled to stand up, she appeared to have almost no physical strength left.

It was hard not to be aware of Travis either. I could see the way he was looking at me that night when he thought I wasn't looking. It was different. It was...interested. I tried to ignore it, but naturally I could not.

After about an hour, we left so Rachel could get some rest. It was clear that she was not doing well, in spite of her cheerfulness. Still, her optimism was contagious, and we left the hospital buoyed by the hope that she would pull through this. The rest of the evening essentially became a date. And a very enjoyable one at that.

Three weeks later, after Travis and I had begun dating in earnest and were in the first throes of young romance, we both received the sobering text message that on December 23, 2009--two days before Christmas--Rachel Bush had passed away in surgery. Her body just couldn't do it anymore.

I have thought about Rachel at this time of year for these last two years. I think about that Friday night at the Huntsman. I think about how melancholy, and how inexplicable it is that, at the same time two young people were discovering love and beginning the adventure of life together, she was at the end of hers. She was dying. I am not asking God by way of this blogpost, "Why? How could you do that?" I am simply ruminating on the beauties and perplexities of life. And death. And how they are intertwined. How I know the way things happen has nothing to do with how fair God is or isn't. "The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away," wrote Job. And yet...Blessed be the name of the Lord.

It is hard not to feel sad that while Travis and I were being given, Rachel was being taken away. Taken away from her family, her school, her dreams for the future... But my--and her--belief in God's plan for us assures me that all was not taken away. That at this very moment, she is probably being blessed and given in ways unfathomable to my understanding.

So I don't really have good way to wrap up this post. It is mostly just memories and thoughts. So I'll just say Merry Christmas to all! and hopefully, there will be another post before the big day.

8 comments:

mwoodall said...

Great blog post. I also sometimes think why have I been given so much when others have to suffer? But as you said, the Lord knows what he's doing. One day we'll all understand why.

shanelle said...

Great post Pear! For obvious reasons, I have been wondering about these same things a lot lately.

Gwendolyn Fullmer said...

What a great joy to know that death is not the end, we will all live again. When Henry was a few months old I watched my friend and her spouse have a baby boy and three days later lay his beautiful teenie body to rest. My heart ached so badly for her. I wished I had a newborn to give to her. Why did she have to experience such cruel hardships while I had relatively none. I find understanding and hope in the scriptures which tell us in "my thought are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways."

Cloudy said...

Great Post, Erin, too bad I'm at work reading in a little break... some tears role down my cheeks... will read your posts now only at home... merry christmas to you too!

Unknown said...

what a beautiful and equally wonderful memory. thank heaven for the gospel peace and assurance and for opportunities that change us forever.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Thank you for writing this down.

I love the idea that we are "given" and "taken" in different ways throughout life. Sometimes we receive gifts and sometimes we are the gift.

Nancy said...

Merry Christmas - what beautiful memories to surround this time of year.

Susannah said...

Sorry I'm so late reading this, but I am so grateful for this beautiful post. I've been thinking a lot about this with the deaths, including tragic ones, we've recently had in our ward. While we don't have answers to everything, the passages of scriptures you quoted definitely help to bring peace and comfort at these times. Love you!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....