Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Self-Destructive Reader, Part One: Elizabeth Gaskell

I am what is known as a “self destructive reader.” When I get into a book, the rest of my life is put on hold. Eating even ceases to be a priority, to say nothing of sleeping; I become irritated when interrupted; I forget to do other somewhat important things...like graduate. About a week ago I finished watching the BBC miniseries North & South for the first time, and found it so fantastic, I checked out the book the next day. I then became so absorbed that I was almost late to my own graduation. A good book in my hands is a dangerous thing. To me, mostly.

Now, I am a sucker for a good romance. I love Georgette Heyer; I love Jane Austen. But I sometimes surprise myself by enjoying stories of, shall we say, greater substance—stories that are not just romance. So blown away was I by North & South’s combination of poignant social commentary and smoldering romantic tension, I couldn’t believe I’d never even heard of Elizabeth Gaskell before. I often make a point of telling people that I am no great reader of the classics. But after this, my latest voluntary dip into Classics, I can only ask myself why am I not? These books are classics for a reason…so why do I avoid them so? Can I not learn something from them, as a writer and as a human being? 

5 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Yay, Pear! I love this story. It's an Ashton girl favorite. I've been trying to get Thomas girls to watch this for a long time! But I was in Indiana. Finally Mom watched it with me last year. I'm also going to borrow the book from you in a couple months. I think Gaskell was an early biographer of Charlotte Bronte, yes? You should try the book Villette by said Bronte.

christina q thomas said...

i have to read it too. for the beginning of our summer classics reading club. mand, you must take part as well.

Lindsay Mecham said...

sounds like a great movie and book!

Lindsay Mecham said...

Plus you, Karrissa, and Adriana can't stop talking about it!
I'll have to watch it so i can understand the conversation.

it sounds really good too!

Unknown said...

huzzah for the BBC north and south seriers!

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....