Friday, April 9, 2010

Perspective

For me, driving to here...



is cathartic.

I take the mountains for granted all the time. I live ten minutes away from this height, and only come up here maybe once a year to just sit and watch. I look at the tiny, cardboard houses, and the miniscule cars inching along, I see the grandeur of the lake and the mountains rising up all around, I pick out the tiny speck that is my home in the distance, and I feel my cares and stresses ebb slowly away. They are but one more small, momentary thing amid a sea of other small and momentary things.

Then, when I come back down into the melee of the close-up, life-sized, fast-paced world, I know where I am on the grid again.


Sometimes a bird's-eye view of the world becomes a God's-eye view.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

too bad we can't stay there just a little bit longer . . .

christina q thomas said...

heights and views ARE oddly therapeutic and restful. i love the way they automatically draw my mind to perspective and distance and proximity. i love the way the physicality of the world sometimes so exactly mirrors our life patterns and thought processes.

Mom/Paula said...

Thanks for sharing your view and your views.

I love the similar perspective when coming out of the Provo Temple, a mountain view from the "mountain of the Lord's house."

Love,
Mom

Jen said...

I'm glad you get away for just a few minutes--even if it is once a year. I feel like its something necessary, but far too few people actually do it.

Transition

Nobody blogs anymore, and nobody reads blogs anymore, so I suppose here is as good a place as any to empty the contents of my bruised heart....